Sizing Question

Hi List,

I might be setting up a private dialup service for a company with 1000 users
dialing up with palm pilots to synchronize to the main server.  The whole process
takes only a few minutes ( <5minutes) and will be performed at the end of the
work day.  Given the number of users and the amount of time they will spend
"online" how many modems would I need and what is the best configuration.  I was
thinking about autoppp but I'm not exactly sure what sort of authentication a
palm pilot is compatible with, but a generic username/passwd is all I need.
Basically all I need to do is get the palmpilot on the network with a ip so it
can connect to the master server.

TIA,
David