Re: Sizing Question

>Hi List,
>
>I might be setting up a private dialup service for a company with 1000 users
>dialing up with palm pilots to synchronize to the main server.  The whole
>process
>takes only a few minutes ( <5minutes) and will be performed at the end of the
>work day.  Given the number of users and the amount of time they will spend
>"online" how many modems would I need and what is the best configuration.
>I was
>thinking about autoppp but I'm not exactly sure what sort of authentication a
>palm pilot is compatible with, but a generic username/passwd is all I need.
>Basically all I need to do is get the palmpilot on the network with a ip so it
>can connect to the master server.

So why install a dial-up network that's only going to be used for 5 minutes
a night, and have to put heaps of modems in for these 1000 users who will
all try to connect at the same time?

Why re-invent the wheel (and give more needless revenue over to the Telco's
for those trunks?

Have them dial-in through existing POP's !

Andrew P. Gardner

Never suggest to your Mother to shop on-line for a pearl necklace.