Re: IPv6 status on Debian for workstations / DHCP networks?

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> wrote:
    >> okay.... my observation is that client side dhcpv6 is unusual still at
    >> this point.  Certainly none of my phone/tablet devices will do that,
    >> and they all speak ipv6 RA just fine.

    > I agree that the RA stuff works fine - the problem is getting DDNS to
    > work.  Many people currently drive DDNS updates from their DHCP server.

    > Do you prefer to use client-initiated DDNS updates or some other
    > solution?

Client-initiated DDNS updates to the forward zone that that client has a
relationship with works fine, but that has nothing to with DHCP :-)

Most clients do not have the right credentials to update forward/reverse for
the LAN on which they find themselves, it should be done via DHCPv4.

On IPv6, my preference (which is not implemented anywhere as yet, AFAIK), would be
to drive DDNS updates from mDNS.   This being discussed at the IETF at
homenet (WG) and now, sdnsext (BOF)

    >> Yes.  You *could* try advertising run two prefixes on the same subnet,
    >> one with M=1, other with M=0.  I don't know how clients that had
    >> dhcpv6 would respond to that.  Or if it's wireless devices, I'd run
    >> two ESSIDs.

    > I think that more tightly controlled sites can experiment with that -
    > but how should vendors of home routers support IPv6, for example?

mostly just SLAAC to date.

    > Currently, if you take a default install of OpenWRT on a router, it can
    > provide a convenient DHCP + DDNS experience for IPv4 that "just works"
    > with no setup required.  I'm yet to see that the same "plug and play"
    > experience is possible with IPv6 - I agree it is possible in theory,
    > but I'm not sure about the way it people have been implementing it.

CeroWrt does it.

    >> I can believe it.  On my new laptop, I tried NM again, and it has a
    >> habit of opening a hundred WPA passphrase requests :-)

    > We have a laptop at home near the edge of the wifi zone that regularly
    > gets into that state - if nobody uses it for a few days, there are
    > 1,000 popups open

Ah, good to know I'm not the only one.
kill nm-applet; restart it, is my usual solution.