Re: IPv6 status on Debian for workstations / DHCP networks?

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> wrote:
    >> dhcpd does not have to run on the router.  DHCPv6 servers are found by
    >> multicast.  Unless you set M=1 in your RAs, your hosts will not use
    >> DHCPv6 for address allocation, so it makes little sense to attempt to
    >> tie DNS updates to DHCPv6 in my opinion.

    > I've configured radvd on the router for M=1 - so all hosts should be
    > using DHCPv6 and therefore DDNS should be maintained

okay.... my observation is that client side dhcpv6 is unusual still at this
point.  Certainly none of my phone/tablet devices will do that, and they all
speak ipv6 RA just fine.

    >> If you want DNS servers from the RA, then you need a seperate daemon.

    > Ok, thanks for that feedback

    > So the default Debian installation (with nothing in interfaces) would
    > only use SLAAC and not try stateful DHCPv6 at all - so a site admin who
    > wants to allow "anything" to just plug in and work should not set M=1
    > in the RA?

Yes.
You *could* try advertising run two prefixes on the same subnet, one with
M=1, other with M=0.  I don't know how clients that had dhcpv6 would respond
to that.   Or if it's wireless devices, I'd run two ESSIDs.

    > One issue I've observed on older machines that have been upgraded is
    > that the IPv6 setting in NetworkManager is sometimes set to "Ignored"
    > while on fresh installs it is in "Automatic" mode - so people who have
    > upgraded need to go in and change that or they won't experience dual
    > stack.

I can believe it.
On my new laptop, I tried NM again, and it has a habit of opening a hundred