Re: IPv6 status on Debian for workstations / DHCP networks?

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> wrote:
    > After getting servers onto IPv6, I recently had a go at trying to run
    > IPv6 on a LAN with workstations

    > Currently, for IPv4 a) dhcpd does not run on the router, it runs on a
    > Debian server b) the LAN uses DHCP and dynamic DNS updates between
    > isc-dhcp and bind

    > For IPv6, radvd is on the router: it is not clear whether dhcpd has to
    > run on the router as well or can they be different hosts (e.g. radvd on
    > the router and dhcpd on the Debian server)?

dhcpd does not have to run on the router.  DHCPv6 servers are found by
multicast.  Unless you set M=1 in your RAs, your hosts will not use DHCPv6
for address allocation, so it makes little sense to attempt to tie DNS
updates to DHCPv6 in my opinion.

    > Is it strongly recommended to use any of the other dhcpd servers
    > instead of ISC?

not from me.

    > Another issue is client configuration: it appears that NetworkManager
    > clients are able to work using stateless or stateful config

    > On the other hand, for somebody who does not want NetworkManager, what
    > is the recommended way to configure /etc/network/interfaces?  I notice
    > that there are different ways to configure it, e.g.

If it's just a client, you can just leave it out, and the kernel will do
autoconfiguration.  If you want a specific address on the client, put it in,
but leave the gateway blank, and the default will come from RA.

If you want DNS servers from the RA, then you need a seperate daemon.

    > When I run ifdown, I notice that the IPv4 address is released and the
    > link is brought down before the dhclient -6 process finishes releasing
    > it's IP, the process then gets stuck for a while and logs various
    > errors

I haven't run dhclient6 much, so I can't comment.

    > Should NetworkManager and the interfaces file always bring up both IPv4
    > or IPv6 whenever possible or is it just one or the other?

both.