Re: current state of IPv6 support in Debian

	Thanks for the comments!

 IS> Surprised by the clarity of IPv6, I now have thoughts of abandoning
 IS> IPv4 on my home LAN (... where the RFC 1918 lie...) altogether.
 IS> So far, I've noticed the following problems that make me delay this
 IS> move.  The list is as per Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (Lenny), unless
 IS> stated otherwise.

 JM> First question: why drop IPv4 at all?

	The question for me is: why to maintain two semi-independent
	networks?  (Not that I want to avoid the challenge, too.)

 JM> For the next 5-10 years at least IMHO it would be futile to do so
 JM> unless you want to cut yourself off from the Interwebz.

	My home LAN has a single (non-RFC 1918) IPv4 address, and even
	that one is tunneled via a distant provider, so the users
	usually rely on NAT.  (And there're actually a couple of routers
	doing NAT -- one is mine, and one provider's.)  I don't think
	that using NAT64 instead of plain old IPv4 NAT on my side is
	going to make any difference.

 IS> I wonder, are there other specific problems to check for, and
 IS> what's the state of the ones listed?

 IS> * NAT64; (should I try to write a quick and dirty one myself?)

 JM> What is your need for NAT64?  If you just want to look at IPv4
 JM> websites (in the case of disabling IPv4 and then use a HTTP
 JM> proxy...)

 JM> Other solution that scales and works: SOCKS, v5 of course due to
 JM> passing of hostnames and thus the SOCKS server doing the lookups.

	Huh?  Is the support for SOCKS in applications is that wide
	nowadays?

 IS> * Squid 3.0; Squid 3.1 supports IPv6, but is still not in Sid;

 JM> Squid developers are then also very lazy and slow wrt IPv6.

	I guess I have to check it myself.

 JM> http://cacheboy.net/ is probably the answer to that; and of course
 JM> Apache2 works fine too.

	IIUC, Apache 2 is not a cache?

 IS> * `flow-tools' and `fprobe-ulog'; (use `nfdump' and `softflowd'
 IS> instead? oh well, `nfdump' depends on... `ttf-dejavu'! thanks to
 IS> the `librrd4' dependency);

 JM> If you require gratuit NetFlow something NFSen/NFdump is the best
 JM> you can get,

	?

$ apt-cache search nfsen
$

 JM> if you have a wad of cash then there are other options ;).

 JM> You need NFv9/IPFIX though for actually supporting IPv6.  There are
 JM> various probes that support IPv6, google around for IPFIX helps as
 JM> generally they then also have IPv6 support.

	It seems that `softflowd' and `nfdump' support NetFlow v9, and
	also IPv6.

 IS> * VoIP -- apparently, neither Ekiga nor Linphone support IPv6; any
 IS> suggestions? (CLI software is preferred, but will consider anything
 IS> capable of IPv6);

 JM> Twinkle works with IPv6.

	ACK.  (The version in ArchLinux, that my colleague have tested
	today, apparently doesn't.)

 JM> For Windows I recommend http://www.phonerlite.de/

	ACK.  (Not that I'm that interested, but my colleagues could
	probably be...)

 IS> * today I saw mount(8) failing to mount an NFS volume over IPv6; I
 IS> didn't investigated it further as of this moment;

 JM> Some people claim it works, some others don't.  Prolly a
 JM> userspace/kernelspace combination issue.

	I'm going to investigate it later.

 IS> * (still have to IPv6-check Asterisk and Yate);

 JM> Asterisk has patches (www.asteriskv6.org), but they are not in the
 JM> main tree (this seems to be an upstream issue as....) FreeSWITCH,
 JM> which is not in Debian yet, does IPv6, SCTP, Jingle, ZRTP (if you
 JM> have the SDK) etc all out of the box (fetch from svn &
 JM> dpkg-buildpackage -b, install debian packages, presto) The patches
 JM> for both come from the same people, thus I guess there is a problem
 JM> at * which is blocking it all, which is a shame (and caused me to
 JM> switch to freeswitch, which does have all the good working
 JM> features)

	ACK.

 IS> * (still have to investigate whether my D-Link WiFi access point
 IS> passes IPv6 or not; but wait, that isn't related to either Debian
 IS> or my home LAN.)

 JM> It is if you run Debian on the thing ;)

	Did anyone had success with running Debian on D-Link DAP-1150?

--
FSF associate member #7257