Re: current state of IPv6 support in Debian

Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	Surprised by the clarity of IPv6, I now have thoughts of
> 	abandoning IPv4 on my home LAN (... where the RFC 1918 lie...)
> 	altogether.  So far, I've noticed the following problems that
> 	make me delay this move.  The list is as per Debian GNU/Linux
> 	5.0 (Lenny), unless stated otherwise.

First question: why drop IPv4 at all?

For the next 5-10 years at least IMHO it would be futile to do so unless
you want to cut yourself off from the Interwebz.

> 	I wonder, are there other specific problems to check for, and
> 	what's the state of the ones listed?
>
> 	* NAT64; (should I try to write a quick and dirty one myself?)

What is your need for NAT64? If you just want to look at IPv4 websites
(in the case of disabling IPv4 and then use a HTTP proxy...)

Other solution that scales and works: SOCKS, v5 of course due to passing
of hostnames and thus the SOCKS server doing the lookups.

> 	* Squid 3.0; Squid 3.1 supports IPv6, but is still not in Sid;

Squid developers are then also very lazy and slow wrt IPv6.
http://cacheboy.net/ is probably the answer to that; and of course
Apache2 works fine too.

> 	* `flow-tools' and `fprobe-ulog'; (use `nfdump' and `softflowd'
> 	  instead? oh well, `nfdump' depends on... `ttf-dejavu'! thanks
> 	  to the `librrd4' dependency);

If you require gratuit NetFlow something NFSen/NFdump is the best you
can get, if you have a wad of cash then there are other options ;).

You need NFv9/IPFIX though for actually supporting IPv6. There are
various probes that support IPv6, google around for IPFIX helps as
generally they then also have IPv6 support.

Twinkle works with IPv6. For Windows I recommend http://www.phonerlite.de/

> 	* today I saw mount(8) failing to mount an NFS volume over IPv6;
> 	  I didn't investigated it further as of this moment;

Some people claim it works, some others don't. Prolly a
userspace/kernelspace combination issue.

> 	* (still have to IPv6-check Asterisk and Yate);

Asterisk has patches (www.asteriskv6.org), but they are not in the main
tree (this seems to be an upstream issue as....) FreeSWITCH, which is
not in Debian yet, does IPv6, SCTP, Jingle, ZRTP (if you have the SDK)
etc all out of the box (fetch from svn & dpkg-buildpackage -b, install
debian packages, presto) The patches for both come from the same people,
thus I guess there is a problem at * which is blocking it all, which is
a shame (and caused me to switch to freeswitch, which does have all the
good working features)

> 	* (still have to investigate whether my D-Link WiFi access point
> 	  passes IPv6 or not; but wait, that isn't related to either
> 	  Debian or my home LAN.)

It is if you run Debian on the thing ;)  [as a side-note: generally
OpenWRT does a perfect job as an IPv6 gateway]

Greets,
 Jeroen