Re: [Solved/is it a RC bug?] Re: Configuring both ipv4 and ipv6 with ifupdown

Hello,

Frederic Lehobey a écrit :
These two ideas are NOT working workarounds. The real workaround I
have found so far has been to put a

	pre-up modprobe ipv6

in interface eth0 definition. There might be other possible
workarounds.

I hope there are. IMO, doing anything such as loading kernel modules that is not not interface-specific in /etc/network/interfaces is definitely not a good solution. Ipv6 is system-wide, not eth0-specific. Besides, if I had no other choice I would load ipv6 with the lo interface, which is supposed to be set up first and always enabled, rather than with another interface.

As Paul suggested, putting ipv6 in /etc/modules would be a better solution, assuming that this file is parsed soon enough during Etch boot process. This is what I did in Potato, Woody and currently in Sarge and it has always worked perfectly for me. I must say that I do not use hotplug or udev which could mess up everything.