Re: [Solved/is it a RC bug?] Re: Configuring both ipv4 and ipv6 with ifupdown

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 12:55:53AM +0100, Frederic Lehobey wrote:
> Yes, but the real cause of the problem is (with a standard etch
> installation and kernel) that at the time the ipv6 interface is
> brought up, the ipv6 module is not yet loaded in the kernel (it seems
> to be loaded *later* in the boot sequence).

> The error message I see after (with invoke-rc.d networking restart)
> seems to be only a consequence of the original failure.

[...]

> I am still puzzled with what I should do with respect to this
> problem. Is it a bug for the kernel? For ifupdown? Or for 'general'?
> (If I do not mistake, ipv6 is a release goal.) (And the problem is not
> new as it was the same in sarge actually.)

The best place for it is prolly /etc/modules, created by
debian-installer during the insatll. Rootskel contains the file, and
hw-detect populates it. (Or so it seems)

So I'd put it as a bug against rootskel, so it can be default
installed like 'loop' appears to be...

Being a Release Goal [1], it's severity important or higher.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/07/msg00005.html

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/