Re: Is there agreement on ddns (or any such) with autoconfigured hosts?

    >> I want to update MYMAC.FOO.ip6.arpa. to PTR to
    >> marajade.dasblinkenled.org,

    Wouter> Uh, well, that's all nice, but *I* don't want you to. You're
    Wouter> still on my network -- at best, I'd allow you to update
    Wouter> MAC.FOO.ip6.arpa. to something.guest.grep.be. Or do it for
    Wouter> you.

  right, thus the trust issue.
  That's why a mechanism that let's me do it directly is broken.

  Instead, we need to consult. It may be that you would happy doing:

  MAC.FOO.ip6.arpa IN PTR      marajade.guest.grep.be.
  MAC.FOO.ip6.arpa IN PTR      marajade.dasblinkenled.org.

    >> and perhaps I want to insert an IPSECKEY RR too.

    Wouter> I don't grok IPsec (yet); what is the purpose of such an RR?

  read rfc4025 :-)

    Wouter> Not disturbed by any knowledge on the matter, I don't think
    Wouter> you'd want to do that. I'd think you'd establish a trusted
    Wouter> connection with your server at home, and use mobile IPv6
    Wouter> extensions to make traffic for marajade.dasblinkenled.org be
    Wouter> forwarded to something.guest.grep.be. When properly
    Wouter> configured and installed, those extensions should allow
    Wouter> traffic to go directly to something.guest.grep.be rather
    Wouter> than being directed through marajade.dasblinkenled.org,
    Wouter> while still having marajade.dasblinkenled.org as the
    Wouter> 'destination' address.

  Nice theory, but until we have the IPSECKEY RR widely available, it
isn't like that any of the mobile extensions will be trustworthy.

    >> That's the problem we are trying to solve.  In v4 land, the
    >> update is done by the DHCP server, which has a trust relationship
    >> with the owner of the IP address range it is handing out.

    Wouter> Right. But don't forget that v4 and v6 are not entirely
    Wouter> similar under the transport layer. When it comes to
    Wouter> assigning addresses, routing, and other similar things, IPv4
    Wouter> and IPv6 are wildly different.

  We'd like to think that, and I sincerely hope the IETF multi6 WG
eventually proposes significant changes, but there are not at this point
any difference to the transport layer between them.

- --
] Michael Richardson          Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON |  firewalls  [
] mcr @ xelerance.com           Now doing IPsec training, see   |net architect[
] http://www.sandelman.ca/mcr/    www.xelerance.com/training/   |device driver[
]                    I'm a dad: http://www.sandelman.ca/lrmr/                 [