Re: Is there agreement on ddns (or any such) with autoconfigured hosts?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:06:31AM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> I've read many threads on the DNS including an extended one from 1999.
> As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to have been a consensus
> about how to handle dynamic updates to DNS from autoconfigured hosts.
> It isn't important to me that I have reverse lookups, nor do I even
> care if I have to use stateful configuration.  I'm just not seeing all
> of the pieces.
>
>   o Is there a DHCPv6 server running on Debian?

Not that I know of.

>   o Is there a dynamic DNS update mechanism is place for
>     stateless-autoconfigured hosts?

Not that I know of. However, seen the fact that MAC addresses don't
usually change, I'd say it's fair to assume your autoconfigured hosts
won't, either -- unless you use the privacy extensions, which I
personally don't.

I manage them as if they were configured statically.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond