Re: Quick 'n' Easy IPv6 for Debian

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:44:00PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
 [ snip useful explanation -- thanks ]

> > In my experience, it doesn't work this way.  I've had a lot of trouble
> > pulling up www.netbsd.org, and traced it to MTU problems.  Setting
> > AdvLinkMTU to 1480 made things work a lot better.  I tried 1280 just
> > now, and that rendered it impossible for me to access *any* website that
> > I tried.
>
> automatic or 1280 doesn't work? That is very odd, you might want to do

Neither works perfectly.  Automatic mostly worked, but some places
(www.netbsd.org) were unreliable.  1280 was almost completely unusable.
I could ping6 but could not connect to any websites.  1480 seems to work
well.

> some tcpdumps and tracepath6's and see what the problems are. See the
> below dumps from three ISP's. Ofcourse using 6to4 it requires quite a
> bit of magic to really figure out where your packets flow and where/how
> they are relayed along the way.

I've had a lot of trouble making traceroute/tracepath work over 6to4.
Here's what I get:
wile:~# tracepath6 www.netbsd.org
 1?: [LOCALHOST]                      pmtu 1480
  1:  <local router address snipped>                      1. 52ms
   2:  no reply
    3:  no reply
     4:  no reply
      5:  no reply