Re: Quick 'n' Easy IPv6 for Debian

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:32:07PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> John Goerzen [mailto:jgoerzen@complete.org] wrote:
>
> > > Thus you are using one /64 but are splitting it over 2
> > interfaces? :)
> >
> > eth0 is for your internal network (if you have a router.)
>
> I know what you mean, but in your example you are using the
> same prefix for more than one link, which simply is not correct.

Is this something new with IPv6?  Because that is fairly standard
practice for IPv4...  for instance, if you get a /24 in IPv4, and you're
setting up a router, you might set an IP address from that range on each
interface.

Anyway, since there's no reason why not, I went ahead and made that
change.

> I removed the "AdvLinkMTU" from the command above as the interfaces
> themselves will figure out that part. PathMTU discovery will take
> care of the rest. If you really want to force it, set it to 1280 as
> that is th MTU that tunnels use and will be the most common MTU
> you will find at the moment.

In my experience, it doesn't work this way.  I've had a lot of trouble
pulling up www.netbsd.org, and traced it to MTU problems.  Setting
AdvLinkMTU to 1480 made things work a lot better.  I tried 1280 just
now, and that rendered it impossible for me to access *any* website that
I tried.

Thanks for your suggestions and corrections, Joroen.  It is appreciated.

-- John