Re: Dynamic IPV6 addresses and DNS

:-> "Daniele" == Daniele Venzano <venza@libero.it> writes:

    > I accomplished direct translation (name to addr) with another bash
    > script and nsupdate, but I think that's just too ugly. There is no sane
    > way I can think of to accomplish reverse lookups. My prefix changes with
    > the ipv4 address, so I can't set up a reverse zone in named.conf (I can
    > write still another script that changes named.conf every time the
    > connection goes up and down, but, well, that's not 'sane'...).

First consideration: on your internal network I think you could just
live without reverse v6 address resolution.

Then, if you're getting your IPv6 addresses from a tunnel broker,
you're probably getting some addresses that is made like
[base-prefix-of-the-provider]:[something-based-on-your-ip-address]:[local-part]

where the base-prefix-of-the-provider is something between /32 and
/48, I suppose.

Now, can't you just fake a reverse for everyhing smaller than the
base-prefix-of-the-provider ? This way, the zone declaration in named.conf
won't change, and your nsupdate/bash script combination could change
the content of the reverse zone too.

Ciao

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci@tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.4.21-ac1 #1 Sat Jun 14 22:51:10 CEST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux