Re: IPv6 "out of the box" support (netbase requirement?)

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 03:17:20PM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> What is required for "out of the box" IPv6 support in Debian? When
> upgrading netbase it asked me if I wanted to include IPv6 addresses in my
> /etc/hosts. Why wouldn't I want to include IPv6? Do packages break (in an
> RC bug way) with IPv6 addresses in /etc/hosts? I'm guessing that there's
> just too many packages would break in non-RC bug ways, but I haven't tried
> any.

 Until recently, I wasn't using v6, and had it disabled in my kernel.
However, I did let netbase put v6 addresses for ip6-localhost, etc. into my
/etc/hosts a long time ago (I knew v6 was the wave of the future...).  I saw
no breakage of anything because of the entries, even on a v4-only system.
Admittedly, I didn't set up a wide variety of daemons that might have tried
to do tricky things with the network, but I can attest that I didn't see any
problems with any desktop, home LAN, exim, or ssh stuff.

> When does it become time to do mass bug reports on packages that break
> with IPv6?

 There might be a packages with bugs, but I would be surprised at having to
do _mass_ bug reports.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@llama.nslug.n , s.ca)