IPv6 "out of the box" support (netbase requirement?)

What is required for "out of the box" IPv6 support in Debian? When
upgrading netbase it asked me if I wanted to include IPv6 addresses in my
/etc/hosts. Why wouldn't I want to include IPv6? Do packages break (in an
RC bug way) with IPv6 addresses in /etc/hosts? I'm guessing that there's
just too many packages would break in non-RC bug ways, but I haven't tried
any.

When does it become time to do mass bug reports on packages that break
with IPv6? The code used for http://debdev.fabbione.net/cgi-bin/getstats
seems to be something that would be a good thing to add to lintian. Should
I file a wishlist bug against lintian (& linda?) requesting it to generate
an IPv6 warnings?

fwiw:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=ipv6 shows only one IPv6
bug.
http://debdev.fabbione.net/cgi-bin/getstats shows there are 122 known IPv6
packages in sid/main, and 830 packages are guessed to have IPv6 support.

     Drew Daniels