Re: IPv6 "out of the box" support (netbase requirement?)

Drew Scott Daniels <umdanie8@cc.UManitoba.CA> - Wed, Jul 09, 2003:

> What is required for "out of the box" IPv6 support in Debian? When
> upgrading netbase it asked me if I wanted to include IPv6 addresses in my
> /etc/hosts. Why wouldn't I want to include IPv6? Do packages break (in an
> RC bug way) with IPv6 addresses in /etc/hosts? I'm guessing that there's
> just too many packages would break in non-RC bug ways, but I haven't tried
> any.

   Some packages do break when you change your /etc/hosts, for example
 host (I do not use this version myself and did not check the bug
 report):
    <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=160714>

   However, my experience in activating IPv6 support on the boxes was
 quite positive.

   But I won't use IPv6 for production websites because I had some
 complaints of users trying to access a www advertised in IPv6 and
 v4. Their browser was trying to access the site in v6 and somewhere
 inbetween, the packets were lost.
   I would blame the bad ISP or the bad browser, but the fact is it did
 not work with v6 addresses in the DNS. So I leave the site accessible
 in v6 through the use of another address (ww6. or www.ipv6.), but it's
 not really the 'slow switch to v6' I would like to see  :(

   The first step is clearly to ship all OS with IPv6 support activated
 by default, but it still requires some work.

   0.02 €,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@via.ecp.fr>