Re: Recovering from multiple routers advertising routes

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 10:56 AM, Bill Cerveny wrote:

My questions:
- What is the recommended set-up for Linux servers which are not set-up as routers? In my opinion, allowing a server to add addresses/routing every time a router starts advertising rogue addressing blocks is dangerous and should be avoided.

Look in /proc --- you can turn of IPv6 autoconf.

-- How is an IPv6 default route added in Debian?

I think the kernel does it when in IPv6 autoconf.

-- Various resources maintain that adding a default route in Linux is problematic and should be avoided. Is this still the case in general and/or with Linux?

It was only ever a problem with IPv6 forwarding. Without forwarding (i.e., a host, not a router) I don't think it ever was a problem.

- How does one recover from receiving a router advertisement from a rogue router without rebooting the Debian Linux system?

route -6, route -A inet6, or ip route

-- Are there any IPv6-specific limitations in the "route" command?

Yes, you really should use "ip route." route -6 works reasonably well.

-- Are there any lower-level ways of removing IPv6 routes without "route"?

ip route. Downing the interface also works.

- Finally, a general question which perhaps isn't appropriate for this list, but I'm interested in the scope of the problem. One of the engineers who introduced a rogue router argued that allowing a router to confuse the IPv6 network with router advertisements is a major flaw in the protocol.

A rogue DHCP server does the same thing. How's it different?