Re: IPv6 patches available

On 10 Jan 2002, "Jeremy T. Bouse" <jbouse@debian.org> wrote:
> 	I was just going through KAME's site looking for IPv6 patches
> for packages available in Debian and found several that have patches but
> don't appear to be available. Curious if we shouldn't be trying to get
> the package maintainers to include these as KAME also sends patches
> upstream for inclusion. I found patches for the following packages with
> current versions available:
>
> 	cvs, rsync, mpg123, mtr, ncftp, postfix, wget,
> 	wu-ftpd and wwwoffle

I merged the rsync patches into the main rsync distribution, and as
Wichert says they should be in Debian soon.

The patch by Kame.net people was very helpful, as was their
documentation on IPv6.

However, when we merged the patch we did find quite a few portability
bugs on systems which rsync supports (like Unicos or UnixWare), but
which the Kame people might not have had the chance to test.  To put
the patch into the upstream obviously requires reconciling it to work
properly on all IPv6-enabled platforms, and to fold out cleanly on
others, which is not quite as simple as you might expect.  There are
also a few features we really ought to support for IPv6 such as IPv6
address literals in rsync URLS, that are not done yet.

So I really would encourage other maintainers to merge Kame patches,
but warn them that it might take a fair bit of work.

--
Martin