Re: Debian IPv6 packages

Previously Brian May wrote:
> Are there any downside to the USAGI stuff? ie. has it been tested to
> the point where it is known to work, and not break anything else?

More importantly, what do davem and alexy think of it?

> Still, I think the only way to get it incorporated by into the
> upstream kernel source, is by demonstrating that lots of end users use
> it (At least thats how I read Linus statement as why Reiserfs was
> included in 2.4.1; his opinion seems to be that if it is only used for
> experimentation then it is easy to apply the patch).

Linus train of thought was:
* to do journaling filesystems properly we need a common layer to some degree
  and an interface to the VM that they can use
* this does not exist yet
* people really want journaling for 2.4 though
* reiserfs already exists, and including it does not touch other code so it
  is safe to include

This does not work for USAGI, since it means changing the existing IPv6
stack that a fair number of people are already using. What should happen
is that the USAGI people hash this out with davem and alexy and come up
with a strategy for improving the stock kernel.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@cistron.nl                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |