Re: A various input methods are not provided for zh_TW users

在 2023-09-08星期五的 19:53 +0200,Andrew Lee写道:
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 6:51 PM Boyuan Yang <byang@debian.org> wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. I also talked with the current fcitx upstream author just
> > now, and here are some hints:
> >
> > * When we are talking about fcitx, we are talking about fcitx5 by default. The
> > fcitx4 series is in heavy maintenance mode and unlikely to be updated anymore.
> >

> Thank you for the explanation here for the different versions.
> I checked that we have fcitx5 by default in tasksel in bookworm.
> So we only talk on fcitx5 instead of other versions here.
> And this report from our users is for bookworm only.
>
> > * For fcitx5, the corresponding package is currently stuck in the NEW queue:
> > https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/fcitx5-table-extra_5.1.0-1.html .
> > Since you are now at debconf, is there any $offline methods that can accelerate
> > its clearing over the NEW queue? It has been a problem for quite a while.
> >

> I checked fcitx5-table-extra was uploaded into NEW on 22 Aug 2023.
> Please be patience.
>
> > * If there are any zh_TW input methods for fcitx5 floating around the internet
> > but missing in Debian and people need them, please don't hesitate to let all of
> > us know. We can do the packaging. Currently I am not aware of any of them.
> > Same rule applies to IBus or any other input method framework.
> >

> Thank you so much for the potential ITPs.
>
> > * Please consult more zh_TW users on the potential switch of the default
> > input method framework. I believe Wayland support would be a headache.
> > However, I have no knowledge about Wayland support status for other IM
> > frameworks except for ibus/fcitx5.
> >

> Conclusion. The fcitx5 does not support all the input methods that zh_TW users need in bookworm. And newer fcitx5 also not support yet in Sid due to the table-extra package
> is still in NEW.
>
> I wonder why we made such changes without enough testing and feedback from zh_TW users? It affects some functionalities that we are not fully familiar with...I donʼt even
> confidently do such changes as Iʼm personally only use chewing.
>
> However, any solution for our users for such known issue?

I know the frustration over the missing of fcitx5-table-extra; as others
have already mentioned, it has went through rounds of packaging and FTP
Master rejection in the last several years.

If you want a good solution and this package is the thing people are looking for,
I believe the best mitigation I can think of now is to have it pass through
the NEW queue asap, and get it backported to bookworm-backports once available
in Testing. That's why I am requesting help from people on the Debconf site
hoping to have this process expedited.

Thanks,
Boyuan Yang