Re: ibus package and packages with "ibus" in its name

On 2023-04-21 12:08, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
On 2023-04-18 16:15, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
I recently discovered *ibus* as a way to input unicode symbols anywhere,
and not only GTK software. The example i discovered is one _right
arrow__symbol_ "shortcut" that is:

    1. Press and hold *ctrl *and *shift *keys.
    2. Type the 5 keys: *u 2 1 9 2*
    3. Release the *ctrl *and *shift *keys.

What happens with the above is that we see the keys typed in step 2
appearing in the screen, but they will be substituted by the symbol "→"
when we release the held keys, in step 3.

That method does not work for me on Gtk either. This method does, though:

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/tips-specialchars.html.en#ctrlshiftu

But this link content describes _exactly__what i said_! 🤔🧐

Not quite. You are supposed to release the Ctrl and Shift keys when you
see an underlined u on the screen. Then enter the code and confirm with
Space or Enter.

Indeed. We interpreted that Gnome documentation in different ways. I
would rewrite that to make it clear. And the truth is: both ways work. I
prefer the steps i made because i do not need space or enter use to make
the character appear. When i release ctrl+shift, the *code pointed*
character appears.

Well, both ways work in some environments. Only the way described in GNOME Help works for me on Ubuntu, for instance.

Actually, that specific docs section was rewritten a few years ago. And I'm guilty of that.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-user-docs/-/commit/10201c14

The conclusion from the discussion in the related bug was that it's best to describe the universally working method rather than a method which only works for some users.

--
Gunnar