Re: ibus package and packages with "ibus" in its name

Hi again,

On 2023-04-18 22:55, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
On 2023-04-18 16:15, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
I recently discovered *ibus* as a way to input unicode symbols anywhere,
and not only GTK software. The example i discovered is one _right
arrow__symbol_ "shortcut" that is:

   1. Press and hold *ctrl *and *shift *keys.
   2. Type the 5 keys: *u 2 1 9 2*
   3. Release the *ctrl *and *shift *keys.

What happens with the above is that we see the keys typed in step 2
appearing in the screen, but they will be substituted by the symbol "→"
when we release the held keys, in step 3.

That method does not work for me on Gtk either. This method does, though:

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/tips-specialchars.html.en#ctrlshiftu

But this link content describes _exactly__what i said_! 🤔🧐

Not quite. You are supposed to release the Ctrl and Shift keys when you see an underlined u on the screen. Then enter the code and confirm with Space or Enter.

But this does not work in any Qt made software, for example. But this
will be fixed with *ibus*, i was told.

Fine. Now i am installing *ibus* in my Debian. The *ibus* package does
not have many dependencies. But searching the repository for "ibus"
gives several results. Should i install them too?

No. If all you want to do is using code points for entering Unicode
characters, it's sufficient to do:

sudo apt install ibus

That will pull the additional packages which are neeed. Then reboot.

At login the im-config package will start ibus-daemon and set some
environment variables, including QT_IM_MODULE=ibus, which ought to make
sure that it works on QT apps too.

Nice. And what surprised me is that very small and few packages are
dependencies of the package *ibus*.

I suppose you mean that there are quite a few reverse dependencies, i.e. ibus plugin packages typically need ibus to work.

For this doubt i asked about what is obtained with all the other
packages i pointed in my first message in this discussion. And why are
there so many different packages to write chinese variations (and many
of them seem to be the same: just traditional chinese, for example).

Trying to explain how all fits together is beyond the scope of my attempt to help you. Again: Just disregard all packages which are not automatically pulled when installing the ibus package. You don't need them to use the Ctrl+Shift+U feature. They are available for users who need to input e.g. Chinese or Japanese.

--
Gunnar