Re: ibus package and packages with "ibus" in its name

Hello again, people. Hello, Gunnar,

before everything else, my previous message was probably received twice by you. I had an error in the first time i sent it, and to guarantee it would not stay in my sent folder as a ghost message, i sent it again. Now, i am subscribed to the list. So, you do not even need to CC answers to me.

Em 18/04/2023 13:00, Gunnar Hjalmarsson escreveu:
Hi Dedeco!

On 2023-04-18 16:15, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
Hello,

I recently discovered *ibus* as a way to input unicode symbols anywhere,
and not only GTK software. The example i discovered is one _right
arrow__symbol_ "shortcut" that is:

  1. Press and hold *ctrl *and *shift *keys.
  2. Type the 5 keys: *u 2 1 9 2*
  3. Release the *ctrl *and *shift *keys.

What happens with the above is that we see the keys typed in step 2
appearing in the screen, but they will be substituted by the symbol "→"
when we release the held keys, in step 3.
That method does not work for me on Gtk either. This method does, though:

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/tips-specialchars.html.en#ctrlshiftu

But this link content describes exactly what i said! 🤔🧐

It is impossible, in all keyboards, in all kinds of computers i have ever used, to hold the 3 keys CTRL, SHIFT and U, and then type other keys. It will not work. Maybe it can give strange results too, but i doubt this. Further, there are notebooks (like the one i have here, right now) that do not have the right ctrl key. So, i must hold ctrl with the left hand, and the shift is probably be with it too, since it is close. Now, holding the U key while typing varied 4 digits hexadecimal numbers will be pretty "easy"... I would like to learn how you do it.

But this does not work in any Qt made software, for example. But this
will be fixed with *ibus*, i was told.

Fine. Now i am installing *ibus* in my Debian. The *ibus* package does
not have many dependencies. But searching the repository for "ibus"
gives several results. Should i install them too?
No. If all you want to do is using code points for entering Unicode
characters, it's sufficient to do:

sudo apt install ibus

That will pull the additional packages which are neeed. Then reboot.

At login the im-config package will start ibus-daemon and set some
environment variables, including QT_IM_MODULE=ibus, which ought to make
sure that it works on QT apps too.

Nice. And what surprised me is that very small and few packages are dependencies of the package ibus. But i saw there are packages for several things that exist in unicode, and i want (at least) some of them. So, i wondered if it will be possible to use them, even though what i expect (initially) is to type them one by one, slowly (i will not talk in japanese using CTRL+SHIFT U [hex numbers] writing).

These other packages make such use examples easier? Even if i do not have other language physical keyboards?

For this doubt i asked about what is obtained with all the other packages i pointed in my first message in this discussion. And why are there so many different packages to write chinese variations (and many of them seem to be the same: just traditional chinese, for example).

Thank you for your attention

🙂