HP i2000 install problems

Hi,

I've recently obtained an i2000. Dual 800MHz first generation Itanium
with 2GB RAM and about 80GB of diskspace on three SCSI disks.
It's currently running HP-UX 11.22, so I know the machine works.
This is my fastest system with room for more internal disks, so I
thought about letting it do some server tasks.

I tried the debian-3.1r3 netinst.iso and the debian-testing netinst.iso.
Both won't boot any kernel successfully. I always get a kernel panic
of some sort or it just freezes. I have tried all available kernels on
these CDs.
I read some documentation and found that some Itanium1 systems
have problems booting Linux when the firmware is not recent. My
system has 1.17. I could upgrade to 1.30, but you need a freaky LS120
floppy to install the update (more than 10 year old DEC Alpha can
boot their firmware update from cdrom, so I certainly wonder why it
was chosen to be that way on the I2000). Before I buy a useless
LS120 I would like to know more about this. Is it really possible that
the kernel won't even boot when the firmware is a bit too old?

Another question: Are the internal IDE ports of the i2000 really
only UDMA33? I planed to install two IDE disks (UDMA 133,
120GB + 160GB) and it would be great if I could plug them into
the internal IDE instead of using a PCI IDE controller.

When replying, please add a CC: to me, because I'm not on the list

TIA,
Dennis

--
Don't suffer from insanity...