Re: libunwind in unstable

  Matthias> Is the patch in #278836 a prerequisite for the above
  Matthias> changes, or can it be done without it?

If the gas-patch isn't applied, you run the risk of getting wrong
unwind-info into object-files.  For GCC proper, that shouldn't matter
but it could be an issue for the libraries generated by GCC.  It's not
all that common to get frame-pointer-relative info on ia64, which is
the only case that's affected, so I suppose we could check the
affected libraries for such info (assuming we can generate a list of
affected libraries).

  Matthias> Same question for #278837.

The hunk for file ptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ia64/pt-initfini.c is definitely
needed.  The other hunks are needed only when building glibc with a GCC which
has a dependency on -lunwind.

  Matthias> As an alternative, revert the libunwind patch.

Which patch are you referring to here?

My main concern is to ensure that the toolchain generates correct
unwind-info.  That question is independent of whether or not -lunwind
is used by GCC, so I hope we can achieve the former even if the latter
is out of scope at the moment.

	--david