Re: Choppy MP3 and DVD playbacks

Hi all,

> Apart from Peter's suggestion,

See the other thread-branch for a following.

> you might also want to check:
>
>  o whether you're getting floating-point software-assist and/or
>    unaligned access faults.  Those could disrupt processing quite a
>    bit, if you get them on a semi-regular basis.

I didn't notice such faults. Just to understand. I thought that
floating-point software-assist and unaligned access faults were specific
to a given arch (IA-64 in this case). I mean, if there is no such error
on an Itanium-2 system, there will be no error on an Itanium (first
generation) system, and vice versa. Is this correct or am I wrong?

>  o whether the the DVD player is an IDE drive; if so, make sure DMA is
>    enabled (of possible).  IDE still disables interrupts for long
>    periods of time and in non-DMA mode, it's rather unusable.

The DVD player is effectively an IDE device and DMA is enabled. However
my MP3 tracks are stored on a SCSI HDD and the playback isn't fluent. So
I think the media storage isn't relevant in my situation.

> As a reference point, I have no issue playing MP3 audio streams on a
> zx2000 (though I just tune into Internet radio stations, i.e., the DVD
> player isn't involved at all).

If my assertion regarding floating-point software-assist and unaligned
access faults is wrong, do you notice such faults when listening to MP3
tracks on your Itanium-2 system?

Thanks David for your inputs.

	Emeric