Re: Choppy MP3 and DVD playbacks

>>>>> "Emeric" == Emeric Maschino <emeric.maschino@diamant.jouy.inra.fr> writes:

Emeric> Hi again, I installed a fresh Sarge distro on an other hp
Emeric> workstation i2000 using the 09/30/04 Debian Installer ia64
Emeric> mini.iso yesterday. GNOME was chosen as the only desktop
Emeric> environment (no KDE packages were installed at all).

Emeric> Same problem with MP3 and DVD playbacks as with KDE
Emeric> however. So this issue isn't tight to the desktop
Emeric> environment. The problem is a little different with DivX
Emeric> clips. Depending on the codec used to encode the soundtrack,
Emeric> the clip playback is perfectly fluent (MPEG2 or MPEG4 audio)
Emeric> or choppy (WMA2 audio).

Emeric> Any hints or suggestions?

Try rebuilding your kernel with CONFIG_PREEMPT turned on.  This
*could* be scheduler latency.
--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*