Re: Suddenly no X-window

On Thursday 01 April 2004 01:38 pm, Khalid Aziz wrote:

> I finally figured out I had libXrender in /usr/lib as well as in
> /usr/X11R6/lib. I deleted the one under /usr/X11R6/lib, ran ldconfig and
> voila gdm started working. I was able to launch all apps as before as
> well. I have no idea which package did the libXrender under
> /usr/X11R6/lib come from.
>
> This may be a long shot, but check if you have the same problem.
I only had the one in /usr/X11R6/lib but I did not have one without
the version numbers, i.e. libXrender.so so I made one by soft linking
to a verioned libXrender  Didn't help, however.

I have since done apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade
Then I didn't even have a link to startkde so I did get a window
but no window manager
After I made a link to startkde, I'm back to the same problem

I have one new observation: when it fails to start Kde it reports
that it cannot connect to :0
But when I start it as root and get twm, when  I shut it down,
it reports the display as :0.0

:0 versus :0.0 Could this be the problem?

Richard