Re: cannot startx on sarge-ia64

OK, you might want to get in touch with Benjamin Morin, who seems to have had the same problem you're experiencing now. See e.g.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ia64/2004/01/msg00034.html

Perhaps Benjamin can let you know which kernel/XFree versions he has managed to get working? I don't have any ATI hardware so I can't do much testing myself..

I think that the problem come from the ATI card/driver

You're probably right - I think the kernel is stable enough that you're unlikely to fix things by using another, and the XFree86 currently in unstable seems to work for many people. Which drivers have you tried to use?

	Duraid