Re: Qt library on vanilla IA-64 Woody

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 04:13:12PM +0200, Emeric Maschino wrote:
> library provided with the gcc 3.0 suite (e.g. numerical limits). The
> core application was then compiled using gcc 3.0 (from the gcc3
> package). But the GUI of this application is programmed using the Qt
> library and I get a lot of unresolved symbols at link for the Qt
> objects. I didn't have these errors when the application core was still
> compiled with gcc 2.96. Are 2.96 and 3.0 built objects incompatible? If
> that's the case, does this mean that the Qt library was compiled with
> gcc 2.96? Hence the errors with my 3.0 built objects.

I am by no means a C++ expert, but I seem to remember reading about
differences in the C++ ABI in 2.96->3.0 and this page :

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/features.html

seems to confirm it.  I would not be surprised if your application
didn't work with libraries compiled with < 3.0

> Since this is some kind of a "production" workstation, I don't want to
> mess with testing/unstable packages.

That's a trade off you'll have to make, but personally I think you'd
be better off running a later version of gcc anyway, IA64 has had a
lot of development since those compilers were released.  We for the
most part keep "production" like systems running with unstable, but
there is the occasional catastrophic failure.

-i
ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au