compilation issues

Folks,
      I have a  problem compiling the kernel source. I did an apt-get
install kernel-source\* to get the source and then tried to do make
menuconfig, make dep but make bzImage displayed the message no such
target. So I just compiled the vmlinux with make vmlinux. The /boot
directory contained the vmlinuz file vmlinuz-2.4.17-mckinley-smp.
The command file on the vmlinuz files showed that it was a gzip
compressed file. So I gzip'd the newly created vmlinux and put it under
boot. But during booting with this new vmlinuz the system rebooted.

There should some place where the steps to compile linux for Itanium is
given. Do you know where to get this information from? Searching on
google did not find any useful information.

Thanks,
Kallol