Re: elilo booting problems

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 8:53 am, Adam Parrish wrote:
> ... I have 3 kernels
> installed there each with label Linux, New, New2 respectively. Linux is
> the default and even when I type in New2 (the desired working one) at
> the prompt it refuses to allow me to boot to it. Linux is the only
> working kernel now, but it is 2.4.17 and I need 2.4.20 (New2). I have
> tried running elilo from inside the Linux kernel and still it does not
> refresh the list of available kernels.

When you run the elilo user command (not the actual bootloader) in
Debian, it looks at /etc/elilo.conf to find the boot partition,
i.e., something like /dev/sda1.  It then makes sure there's a VFAT
filesystem on that partition, mounts it, and copies the elilo
bootloader, an elilo.conf file, and the kernel images to it.

So if you mount your boot partition manually, say on /boot, and
look in /boot/efi/debian/, you should see all the kernel images
available for boot.

Since you mentioned several disks, you could have several boot
partitions.  In that case, any given EFI boot manager entry will
point to ONE of those boot partitions, and will only be able
to boot the kernels in that partition.  Maybe your boot manager
entry is stale and points to the wrong place.

Bjorn