Re: elilo booting problems

first off, the labels 'Linux', 'New', etc only refer to entries in the
elilo.conf file.  you can only boot kernels in this fashion by having a
corresponding entry in this file, which i assume you edited?  maybe you
could paste an example of one of the configurations into an email..

second, you can get a list of the bootable kernels from the elilo prompt by
hitting tab a few times.  do this to make sure that your elilo modifications
are persistent.

third, do you have any reason to believe that these kernels are working
format for ia64?  i.e., have they ever booted successfully?  afaik, efi
cannot handle zipped kernels, only stripped vmlinux images.

good luck.

-snf

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Adam Parrish wrote:

> I am quite the stranger to ia64 architecture and have recently spent
> quite some time getting AFS, Kerberos, and pam modules to cooperate on
> this system. I had 3 more of them to install but I was trying to be lazy
> and just install to the second hard drive of the system after I
> completed configuration. After completion I removed the disk and tried
> to reboot to the previously configured system. I have 3 kernels
> installed there each with label Linux, New, New2 respectively. Linux is
> the default and even when I type in New2 (the desired working one) at
> the prompt it refuses to allow me to boot to it. Linux is the only
> working kernel now, but it is 2.4.17 and I need 2.4.20 (New2). I have
> tried running elilo from inside the Linux kernel and still it does not
> refresh the list of available kernels. This is odd since it used to work
> so well. I have alerted the research group that their computer is ready,
> but now I have to tell them it isn't unless someone can generate some
> more ideas for me to alleviate this issue. Thanks in advance for any
> assistance.
>
> -Adam
> --
> Adam Parrish
> Asst. Linux Administrator
> ECE Dept, North Carolina State University
> Office: 919.515.0124
>

> --

Stephen N. Floor                       /"\
 snfloor@ku.edu                        \ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
aim:stephenfloor                        X     Against HTML Mail
A word from the wise follows           / \

"John, we're going to get a good bill.  I mean, one of the things I've learned
is not to try to negotiate with you or me on national TV."

George W. Bush
April 25, 2001
Comment made during interview with CNN's John King.