Re: Debian/stable with 2.6 kernel

  Matthew> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 03:52:42PM -0700, David Mosberger wrote:
  >> Is anyone working on putting together the necessary package/howto on
  >> how to use a 2.6 kernel with Debian/stable?  I faced this situation
  >> myself, because I wanted to use the 2.6 kernel on my home machine,
  >> which is as close to mission-critical as it gets for me (my wife
  >> depends on it, what can I say... ;-).

  Matthew> I upgraded my wife to Debian/unstable on her laptop to get
  Matthew> X working ...  despite its name, it works pretty well.
  Matthew> Mozilla's been a bone of contention, but it's fixed now.

Not my experience at all.  I'm running Debian/unstable on my
workstation at work and I do about a bi-weekly "apt-get update".
Every time it upgrades on the order of 100MB of packages.  Apart from
X, mozilla, and gnome-panel are repeated sources of problems.  Not to
mention that sawfish is simply broken when used with gnome-panel and
metacity is a terrible window-manager in my experience.

For a concrete example, just yesterday "gnome-panel" was "held back"
and the apparent reason is the mess with the .la files in /usr/lib.

	--david