Re: Sharing thoughts about the ddtp approaches

Le 05/10/2019 à 11:27, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have been a regular translator on the ddtp for some months, and had
> dialogs with the French team since the Marseille Minidebconf on May.
> Thanks to them for their support and motivation.
>
> My concern is that we are very few contrib, and the work is giant. Many
> packages, but also many movements in packages (descriptions updats,
> additional packages, etc). I do not see how human beings can hope to
> translate all the packages descs in such conditions someday and for how
> long. Also because there as much work for translating as reviewing.
>
> My thoughts are the following:
> 1. Could we automate more some translations:
> a) python-* and python3-* have the same descs. We should be able to
> translate both python and python3 translating one of them.
> b) linux-*-dbg: the string is similar, the translation should be
> automated, optionally put in the reviewing string for safety
> c) bindings: python bindings have often translated "This is the Python
> binding for ... module" for qt5. Short and long desc may be translated
> automatically

d) When changing a wording for some translation, we should be able to
see all the other places where was translated the same way, to accept
changes everywhere or choosing where to apply the change. Otherwise, any
new idea imply 40000 changes, so the team refuses it.