Re: Use of UTF-8 triple points ? instead of "..."

Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de>
> On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 07:24:40PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > [...] But more to the point, why do it? Just to save two
> > characters and maybe one byte?
>
> No. To be typographically correct. In the beginning, there was ASCII,
> and many typographic conventions had to be emulated (at least if you
> did not use TeX or simmilar). Now we are able to write e-mails with
> proper quotes and so on. And since a proper ellipsis exists and Debian
> UTF-8 is now the default for several releases, the German team startet
> wondering why are we still emulating?

What is "proper" typography?  We can't even agree on spacing around
punctuation in English yet, so I suspect we may have different
opinions on whether multi-character ... is better than the
single-character one (which I don't find on my en_GB keymap just now).
Is there a DIN Norm for German punctuation or may there be different
opinions among that language's 1L speakers too?

Personally, I think that curved quotes are ugly and the
single-character ellipsis is usually too cramped (in most
variable-width fonts and all fixed ones), so I think there may be some
font bugs to fix before there's a "proper" one available to all, leaving
aside unusual platforms like the kindles running debian armel.

Regards,