Re: [RFR] po-debconf://gitalist/po/de.po

Christian PERRIER writes:
 > Quoting Martin Eberhard Schauer (Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de):
 > > sorry, wrong list one more time :-(
 >

 > No problem. Seeing how you guys are trying to translate "repository"
 > is interesting (at least from the part I could decipher in the
 > mail)..:-)...
 >
 > For your information, we translate it to "dépôt" in French and,
 > yes, that also means for us the place where tramways and buses are
 > stored....but it seems that the word is also understandable by
 > those people I call "technoids",

"Depot" is the name of an old system (developed by the GNU Project
IIRC) which managed multiple versions of each of several installed
packages in one tree.  The goal was to allow a single large server to
provide /usr trees to heterogeneous hosts (ie, different CPU or OS)
via network mounts.

This is quite different in detail from the repositories used by
version control, but I'm not surprised that it is recognized as a
reasonable translation of "repository".

Of course the English use of "depot" is borrowed from French (and
normally means the place where railroad cars or buses are stored).
Thanks guys, for all the useful vocabulary you've lent us over the
centuries!