Re: Again about anonymous contributions to DDT*

On 08/12/2011 05:08 PM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 02:49:22PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
Quoting Michael Bramer (m.bramer@deb-support.de):

Because:

Maybe some reason:
  - we have a bug in the 'login' process (I don't think so)

Does not count. Bugs need to be known an fixed.

right.

But this is a reason for the translator/reviewer.

If i like to translate something, I add a login and this don't work
(it is now fixed, I hope so), I can
 - go away
 - make the work as ip-user

  - someone don't like cookies

Well, if someone works in such a restricted environment (and I know
some) then this might be a problem. But is this really the case (for
many)?

Maybe not many, but some

  - someone don't like the 1001 useless online account with passwort

This is the only reason from this list I can understand.

  - someone like to only translate his 3 packages

I don't want the latter. Really. There's nothing worse than a maintainer
translating "his|her" packages. They usually don't follow l10n teams
conventions and style. The same indeed happens with debconf templates.

Second. We have maintainers who speak German and unfortunately some
don't like the German translation team and even refuse to fix obvious
errors, lest keep the style in line with the other Debconf
translations.

And as a maintainer I can very well use the e-mail interface; in fact,
I did this for my packages (I'm also a translator, so see this in
relation for the previous paragraph).

The email-interface is not the point. If we close ddtss, we will in
future also close the email interface. I like to have one database,
one process, one user db, for all interfaces (web, mail, api, ...)

What is the problem, with a contribution as IP-user?

You can't mail the user. You can't make suggestions to them. You can't
interact with those active contributors. In short, you're losing energy.

Exactly. Intitially they help the translation count, but you cannot
interact with them. So you might be lucky and the anonymus user
translates in a high quality.

no, you can interact with the messages system and the comments in the
ddtss

OTOH, when I work on some files translated by someone really
identified, I often know by advance what to look about. In clear,
there are some contributors from the French team, where I will mùake
very careful reviews because I know they're often doing spelling
errors, or using jargon we don't want, etc. There are others where I
will be much less picky because I know they follow our guidelines.

This is in general why I want to know who is translating and why non
anonymity does encourage quality.

We have made similar experiences in the German team (for Debconf, Web
site ... translations). Some translators are very experienced, so
reviews can be much quicker, while for otheres a review should be done
if possible, for the reasons cited above.

yes, some people are very experienced.

and some not. If you don't know the translator (like a IP-User), you
will make very careful reviews.

What is the point?

Gruss
Grisu