Re: Language detection and l10n-pkg-status

Hello,
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 01:35:14PM +0200, Janos Guljas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 07:37, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > Quoting Janos Guljas (janos@resenje.org):
> >> Hi Christian,
> >>
> >> As one of the Serbian translators for Django, I must say that a
> >> compromise was made to name files for Serbian (Latin) sr_Latn.po.
> >> There was no possibility to use @ sign in filename. Reason for "Latn"
> >> is python-babel, where such label is used.
> >
> > Doh. Really bad design decision, imho.
> >
> > I wonder why it has been said that "there was no possibility to use @
> > sign in filename".
>
> The reason for that is, not implemented, so it would require years for
> such low priority ticket to be accepted. Instead of that a quick and
> dirty solution was made, unfortunately. A ticket on Django's trac can
> be sent, even with patches, but I doubt that it will be implemented
> any time soon.

Well, and a quick'n'dirty solution in one software breaks lots of
other software. There is a certain nomenclatur which Christian
outlined, and while I'm only a translator (l10n, little in i18n) I'm
really troubled if we go down the path of breaking long standing
"standards" (Christian, is the nomenclature coded somewhere?) for
sloppy coding in some software.

Greetings

            Helge