Re: The future of the DDTSS

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 20:11, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Long term it would be good if there were more people who could work
> on the system. I have the feeling that the current codebase, being
> essentially Perl with not very good abstractions reduces the number of
> potential contributors. If I were to do it again today I'd build it in
> Python using Django. My feeling is that this would make it more
> accessible for new people. Does anybody have any ideas about that?

Perl discouraged me to look at the code in the past and I would have
looked it if were Python and if I could run and fiddle with it on my
system. But that's just me.

> The nicest thing is that rebuilding it would allow us to remove
> several layers of abstraction, the current system being built to send
> and receive emails from the DDTP. With direct access to the DB several
> new features become much easier. Perhaps the web interface for the
> DDTP could be included making improvements there as well (it could use
> a facelift).

A facelift would be nice, though not necessary. The DDTSS interface is
fairly functional, the problem is it's often broken. I'd also welcome
if it were faster.

Regards,
~~helix84