Re: The future of the DDTSS

Quoting Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@gmail.com):
> We're severals years on and it looks like the "DDTP/DDTSS will
> eventually be replaced by Pootle" is as far away as it ever was. In

It is, I'm afraid, yes.

> the meantime the current system, while it works, is not ideal. It runs
> on a Berkeley DB version 1 DB which has suffered some damage in the
> past and now contains rubbish here and there. Also there have been
> very few contributions. So I have some ideas about the future:
>
> 1. Switch the backend from BDB1 to the postgresql instance on the
> machine. I've actually prototyped this and it appears to work. I just
> put a shim BDB interface on a table in the postgres database. It's
> ugly and evil, but it would solve the data corruption/list issues. It
> would probably then get appropriately backed up. Performance won't be
> great but I doubt it's any worse than what is there now.
>
> Unless there are objections I want to try doing this in the weekend.

You get a +1 from me. If that makes your work easier, I can give you
sudo access on churro so that you can shutdown the web server as you
want, to avoid interference by DDTP users....or add whatever package
you might need.

> 2. Long term it would be good if there were more people who could work
> on the system. I have the feeling that the current codebase, being
> essentially Perl with not very good abstractions reduces the number of
> potential contributors. If I were to do it again today I'd build it in
> Python using Django. My feeling is that this would make it more
> accessible for new people. Does anybody have any ideas about that?

I think you got a few answers already which might give good hope for
this. You already know that *I* can't do much in that regard except
trying to keep some understanding of how things work...and keep an eye
on things that happen on the server.