Re: The future of the DDTSS

On 2 June 2011 20:25, Martin Bagge / brother <brother@bsnet.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
>> 2. Long term it would be good if there were more people who could work
>> on the system. I have the feeling that the current codebase, being
>> essentially Perl with not very good abstractions reduces the number of
>> potential contributors. If I were to do it again today I'd build it in
>> Python using Django. My feeling is that this would make it more
>> accessible for new people. Does anybody have any ideas about that?
>
> The language it self doesn't bother me much. Haven't built anything larger
> in django before so that might be interesting.

Well, I'm just suggesting what I'm familiar with. Which would be a
buildout with django using templating and SQLAlchemy for the database
abstraction.

>> DDTP could be included making improvements there as well (it could use
>> a facelift).
>
> New Debian.org style and stuff.

Well the big benefit would be templates which would means that the
presentation could be updated without fudging the code. This is very
important for maintainability.

> Agreed, manpower is needed.
> I am interested in doing things as I told earlier, and I need someone else
> interested. Will not be able to pull it on my own.

Another useful feature would be that anyone could set up their
installation in minutes, which is good for testing and development.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/