Re: The future of the DDTSS

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

2. Long term it would be good if there were more people who could work
on the system. I have the feeling that the current codebase, being
essentially Perl with not very good abstractions reduces the number of
potential contributors. If I were to do it again today I'd build it in
Python using Django. My feeling is that this would make it more
accessible for new people. Does anybody have any ideas about that?

The language it self doesn't bother me much. Haven't built anything larger in django before so that might be interesting.

DDTP could be included making improvements there as well (it could use
a facelift).

New Debian.org style and stuff.

The problem with rebuilding is that you run the risk that it never
gets done. On the other hand I think the current interface is a
dead-end development-wise. Note I'm not talking about the backend
scripts, just the frontend and the DDTSS.

Agreed, manpower is needed.
I am interested in doing things as I told earlier, and I need someone else interested. Will not be able to pull it on my own.

big up!

--
/brother
http://martin.bagge.nu