Re: mantis 1.2.4-1: Please translate debconf PO for the package mantis

Hello Silvia,

> language        translated     fuzzy     untranslated
>   ca                20
>   cs                 0           1            19
>   da                 0                        20
>   de                 0                        20
>   es                20
>   eu                 0                        20
>   fr                 0                        20

Hmmm, what happened? IIRC, Mantis had several debconf translations
and, from the above, all of them were entirely broken by the update.

(except Catalan and Spanish, but I guess this is because you did the
update yourself)

Did  the templates change so much? That can happen, of course, but
this is really unusual...

Anyway, I have concerns with the new templates. I'm afraid they're not
ready for release as they suffer from several small problems WRT
common usage in debconf templates writing style.

Let's take a few examples:

> #. Type: select
> #. Description
> #: ../mantis.templates:1001
> msgid "Webserver"
> msgstr ""
>
> #. Type: select
> #. Description
> #: ../mantis.templates:1001
> msgid ""
> "Please choose the web server that should be automatically configured to run "
> "Mantis on your system."

I think that "Webserver" is the Select template synopsis. At least, it
should end with a colon: "Webserver:". Moreover, the synopsis is
supposed to be able to be understandable if displayed alone, so the
synopsis should be something like:

 Please choose....

> msgstr ""
>
> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../mantis.templates:2001
> msgid "Enter username for .htaccess file:"
> msgstr ""

We usually avoid "Enter <foo>" in synopsis for string templates:

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../mantis.templates:2001
> msgid "Please enter the desired username for .htaccess file."
> msgstr ""

I don't really understand what is a "username for a file"....

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../mantis.templates:5001
> msgid "Provided passwords is invalid"
> msgstr ""

There's a grammar problem here. Plural (passwords) or singular (is)?

What I suggest is that you *first* ask for a review of these templates
in debian-l10n-english. You can do this by sending the
debian/*.templates file (much better than the templates.pot file).

*then* a call for translation and translation updates would be fine.

Of course, the call for translations will somehow shoot in your own
foot: some translators will jump on it, will not care about the
problems in original version and you'll get translations for *your*
current strings. Then, you'll have to re-issue a call for
translations. I don't really see any way to avoid this except by
shouting out loud: TRANSLATORS, DO NOT WORK ON MANTIS YET.