Re: Translation of package rox-filer.

(CC'ing to debian-i18n as that might be of interest for other
translators. Also CC'ing rox-filer maintainer, by courtesy as we're
talking about him|her)

Quoting Sergio Cipolla (secipolla@gmail.com):
> Hello Christian, a while ago I translated rox-filer to Brazilian
> Portuguese (pt_BR). See
> Currently the Debian package is almost untranslated and the little
> that it's translated it's not so well done.
> I have more than once emailed the maintainer asking him if he could
> include the new translation but got no response. I seriously suspect
> that that package is abandoned.
> Perhaps rox-filer isn't a popular package anymore as it was once, but
> it's still a good file manager and I think it's still maintained
> upstream (usptream has included my translation, BTW, except the last
> revision there in the bug report).
> The Debian package includes the wallpaper application directory (IDK
> if you're familiar with rox-desktop but it's a modular arrangement
> expansible by applications that reside in executable directories) and
> the last update to the afore mentioned bug report includes a pt_BR
> translation for it besides a last fix for rox-filer's translation
> (message from January 25).
>
> I monitor i18n Debian lists sometimes and have an impression that
> you're responsible for coordinating those efforts, so as a last resort
> to get that translation included in Squeeze I'm writing you now.
> Unfortunately my packaging knowledge is null at the moment but if you
> can do something regarding this subject, it will be appreciated.

In general, I don't consider that "upstream" translations belong to
Debian i18n activities.....precisely for the reason you explain.

To have software translation included in a given package, it is IMHO
better to have these translations included upstream, then flow down to
the Debian package with upstream updates.

In the situation you describe, the translation update is "rotting" in
Debian BTS (because of the maintainer's non activity, apparently). So
you did well by sending it upstream.

Finally, to get it in Debian, what's needed....is having the Debian
package updated to latest upstream. It's a bit late for the release of
squeeze now, but ideally, with an active maintainer, this is what
should happen at one moment or another.

Still, of course, the translation update you sent should have been
sent upstream....if the maintainer was active. So, again, the
situation resumes to: there is apparently no more maintainer for that
package ((s)he will object if I'm wrong!).

I can probably do an NMU of the package (without updating to latest
upstream) to have your translation included, but I usually don't do
that for non Debian material (just imagine the load it would be).

I'll put your mail in my TODO list and see what I can do....exceptionnally.