Re: apt 0.8.0~pre1: Please translate the package apt

On Lu, 23 aug 10, 19:17:08, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Dear Debian I18N people,
> The release of Squeeze is in preparation and it's time to work on core packages' translations.
> Thiss mail is a call for translation of messages from
> programs provided by the apt package.

Dear Christian,

Is there a -l10n-english review process for the translatable material in
Debian core packages? I'm asking because of things like:

#: cmdline/apt-cache.cc:513 cmdline/apt-cache.cc:1194
#, c-format
msgid "Package file %s is out of sync."

Is this the "Packages" file or just some .deb (I assumed it's the
"Packages" file)?

#: ftparchive/apt-ftparchive.cc:258
msgid "Source extension list is too long"

Is this the "Sources" file?

#: ftparchive/apt-ftparchive.cc:375
msgid "Error writing header to contents file"

And this is probably the "Contents" file...

#: ftparchive/apt-ftparchive.cc:590
msgid ""
"apt-ftparchive generates Package files from a tree of .debs. The\n"

This is surely the "Packages" file, as shown by the example in the same

"appended to the filename fields if present. Example usage from the \n"
"Debian archive:\n"
"   apt-ftparchive packages dists/potato/main/binary-i386/ > \\\n"
"               dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages\n"

All occurrences of special files should probably be quoted, because they
are not translatable...

#: apt-pkg/deb/dpkgpm.cc:1280
msgid ""
"No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup "
"error from a previous failure."

#: apt-pkg/cacheset.cc:467
#, c-format
msgid "Can't select versions from package '%s' as it purely virtual"

s/as it purely/as it is purely/

#: cmdline/apt-get.cc:2347
#, c-format
msgid "Fetch source %s\n"

#: cmdline/apt-get.cc:2347
#, c-format
msgid "Fetch source %s\n"

#: apt-pkg/acquire.cc:878
#, c-format
msgid "Retrieving file %li of %li (%s remaining)"

#: apt-pkg/acquire.cc:880
#, c-format
msgid "Retrieving file %li of %li"

What is the difference?

I have also seen a few occurrences of "full-stop without space", but my
poor grep-fu can't find them right now.

I know I could report these as (minor) bugs against apt, but I think a
thorough review would be needed, probably also for the other native
Debian packages. Maybe for squeeze+1?