Re: apt 0.8.0~pre1: Please translate the package apt

On Lu, 23 aug 10, 19:17:08, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Dear Debian I18N people,
>
> The release of Squeeze is in preparation and it's time to work on core packages' translations.
>
> Thiss mail is a call for translation of messages from
> programs provided by the apt package.

Dear Christian,

Is there a -l10n-english review process for the translatable material in
Debian core packages? I'm asking because of things like:

#: cmdline/apt-cache.cc:513 cmdline/apt-cache.cc:1194
#, c-format
msgid "Package file %s is out of sync."

Is this the "Packages" file or just some .deb (I assumed it's the
"Packages" file)?

#: ftparchive/apt-ftparchive.cc:258
msgid "Source extension list is too long"

Is this the "Sources" file?

#: ftparchive/apt-ftparchive.cc:375
msgid "Error writing header to contents file"

And this is probably the "Contents" file...

#: ftparchive/apt-ftparchive.cc:590
msgid ""
[snip]
"apt-ftparchive generates Package files from a tree of .debs. The\n"

This is surely the "Packages" file, as shown by the example in the same
string:

"appended to the filename fields if present. Example usage from the \n"
"Debian archive:\n"
"   apt-ftparchive packages dists/potato/main/binary-i386/ > \\\n"
"               dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages\n"

All occurrences of special files should probably be quoted, because they
are not translatable...

#: apt-pkg/deb/dpkgpm.cc:1280
msgid ""
"No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup "
"error from a previous failure."

s/its/it's/

#: apt-pkg/cacheset.cc:467
#, c-format
msgid "Can't select versions from package '%s' as it purely virtual"

s/as it purely/as it is purely/

#: cmdline/apt-get.cc:2347
#, c-format
msgid "Fetch source %s\n"

and

#: cmdline/apt-get.cc:2347
#, c-format
msgid "Fetch source %s\n"

but

#: apt-pkg/acquire.cc:878
#, c-format
msgid "Retrieving file %li of %li (%s remaining)"

and

#: apt-pkg/acquire.cc:880
#, c-format
msgid "Retrieving file %li of %li"

What is the difference?

I have also seen a few occurrences of "full-stop without space", but my
poor grep-fu can't find them right now.

I know I could report these as (minor) bugs against apt, but I think a
thorough review would be needed, probably also for the other native
Debian packages. Maybe for squeeze+1?

Regards,
Andrei