RE: DDTP for hebrew (Was: (howto) adding better support for a specific language)

Andreas Tille wrote:
>> that an Hebrew speaking administrator can't get along without reading
>> ability in English, what so ever.
>
> The teachers in schools where my son was studying were not.  So if you
> want to enable schools to work with Debian Edu in the sense that they
> should be free to use additional software which is not preselected
> they are not really able to do this and they would become dependant
> from external help.
>
>> Therefore I consider both package descriptions and debconf templates
>> translations non priority.
>
> IMHO only in the case that you just trust the preconfigured set of
> packages.  If that's enough my point is void.  But from my point of
> view it is not enough and does not really bring Debian foreward.

	I agree with your opinion, only it seems we lack the resources,
Therefore the need for prioritization.
I hope to be able to promote Debian-Edu in Israel and through that gain more
resources.

>> Log-in seems to be a major problem for young kids, as traditionally
>> user names are in lower case ASCI and these are not even printed on
>> the keyboard.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
>> Andreas it seems to me that you are probably most apt to point to a
>> tool (or create one:) that would inform of support status for a
>> given language and an arbitrary set of debian packages, if such
>> information exists anywhere in debian (Here again I mean the
>> packaged software not the package).
>
> Yes.  It is called DDTP (Debian Description Translation Project) [1]
> and as far as I can see there is no support for Hebrew.  I do not know
> whether the reasons are of technical nature (even if I doubt this) or
> whether just nobody started working on this.

	Yeh, I guess Hebrew translators focus on debconf questions so it's
possible that no descriptions were translated so far, once again due to lack
of resources, I presume.
	However, this still doesn't give an indication for the languages
supported by the packaged software.

Thanks, Odd.

On replies please keep me in cc: as I'm not subscribed here.