Re: about translation manpages

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 07:42:57PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 14/07/2008, at 4:31 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> >On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:03:23PM -0700, Rustam Rakhimov wrote:
> >>I want translate manpages, how I can do it that's my question for all

Manpages are probably not the most important stuff and it's not easy to
handle these globally. On the other side such an attempt could improve
the situation so please go on.

> >This depends on which man page. Some, especially debian specific ones
> >are simple - grab the po(t) file from the package, translate it as
> >usual and report it as wishlist bug against the package.
> >
> >Otherwise have a look at the package build system or talk to the
> >package maintainer. Some do the translation within Debian, others
> >upstream, others use translationproject.org, ... and so are the means.
> >Ideally everybody would use po4a and we all would be happy, but this
> >is not the case.

> I recall that there was a package of manpages available somewhere:
> could someone please remind me where we can find that?

There are many: http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=manpage
including manpages, manpages-dev, funny-manpages, ...

> Then Rustam and his team could work on that package, while he settles
> in at Debian. I am happy to support his team, as best I can. I'll
> chase up the adding-a-new-language info.

I would say the first important step is to decide what manpages to
translate. Basic ones such as for commands like find, sort, ls, ...
or program specific ones such as apt, aptitude, ...
Once this is known we can continue the discussion with the package
maintainer. It would probably be no problem to add PO support via po4a
if not happened already.

Jens