Re: Translation of "GNOME" [was: Re: [D-I] updates to tasksel opened again]

On 11/06/2008, at 3:43 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:

Quoting Damyan Ivanov (dmn@debian.org):

Why not? Transliterating the abbreviation using the local alphabet
seems like an improvement to me. Otherwise English-unaware users would
guess how the thing is pronounced. Same for "KDE".

Well, maybe those people around who are GNOME translators could
enlighten us, here.

I suppose that the GNOME project has a policy about this.

Clytie (I think she'll see the "translation of GNOME" title)?

You called? :D

The general policy is to stick to "GNOME". It is a brand-name, a visual icon. Different alphabets may have to handle this differently, but the GNOME Project wants everyone to recognize the word "GNOME" wherever it might be.

So, whether you know that it's an acronym (and what it stands for), or not, and even if you pronounce it weirdly (as in my community), everyone recognizes the name. :)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n